Working in Nidwalden

Nidwalden's excellent road (A2 motorway – main north-south axis), rail (Zentralbahn – S4) and air links (Buochs Airport) in the heart of Switzerland are proving attractive to business and industry.

The canton features small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) operating in a wide variety of sectors. There is a concentration of innovative SMEs in sunrise sectors such as: services, medical technology, timber and construction trades, aircraft construction, metalworking, electronics, control and measuring technology, glass manufacturing. The canton's larger employers are to be found in the aviation, hotel and gastronomy, market research and micro technology sectors.

Nidwalden is home to Pilatus Aircraft Ltd, a leading manufacturer of single-engine turboprop aircraft – the only Swiss company to design and build planes and training systems and sell them worldwide. Large numbers of aviation suppliers have also chosen to base themselves in the canton.

Moreover is the Bürgenstock Resort in Nidwalden situated. Four hotels, a Health & Medical Excellence Center, Residence Suites with hotel service, business facilities, the 10’000 m2 Bürgenstock Alpine Spa as well as numerous restaurants and bars, all set in a breathtaking mountain landscape and 500 meters above Lake Lucerne.

Traditional small trades are well represented here, as are internationally active businesses developing innovative state-of-the-art technology. This broad-based structure helps maintain jobs and apprenticeships, even during rocky patches in the economy.

The population is generally well educated and trained, and there is a large potential of qualified manpower.

Work and residency permits

Switzerland operates a dual system when it comes to permits for foreign nationals. Employees from countries in the EU/EFTA benefit from the agreement on the free movement of persons. Applications for persons from other countries are restricted to management-grade personnel, specialists and persons in possession of qualifications.

Persons in gainful employment (whether employed or self-employed) from outside the EU/EFTA region require a residency permit issued by the Migration Department of Nidwalden's Office of Justice, plus a work permit issued by the Canton's Office for Labour. An application for a change of job must also be submitted for such persons.